Sunday, September 19, 2010

Pat's Pies & Tarts Quilt

I have just had the pleasure of quilting another quilt for my lovely customer Pat.  I am not exactly sure about Pat's age - I have quilted several quilts for her over the last few years and ever since the first quilt she has been in her "early eighties".  Pat takes great delight in the making of her quilts - for Pat it is certainly as much about the journey of making the quilt as it is about the end result.  Pat is the only customer for whom I pick up and drop off quilts at her home.  Each time I do so, we have a wonderful chat and, as she said on my last visit, she doesn't know what her life would be like without quilting.  I certainly enjoy my meetings with Pat - she has a lot of life experience to offer and is wonderful company.

This time Pat has made the Pies & Tarts Quilt designed by Sue Dailey from Patchwork with Busyfingers.  Pat only sews by hand - the entire quilt has been hand pieced and she will even put the binding on by hand.


In keeping with the circular theme of the quilt we decided to quilt a spiral on each large pie.  Each spiral extends almost to the centre of the smaller tarts and overlap eachother - the quilting has put me in mind of a spirograph drawing.



Pat is a member of the Bluegum Quilters.  Bluegum Quilters are having a Quilt Exhibition on Saturday 6th November, 2010 at St James Church, Corner Pender and Newcastle Streets, Thornbury from 9.30am to 3.30pm.  Entry is only $2.  Pat's Pies & Tarts Quilt will be on display there amongst a selection of many other beautiful quilts.

Thanks again Pat - I will look forward to your next quilt - I am sure it will be another beauty.



22 comments:

  1. Perfect quilting for this quilt! It is stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful beautiful quilt and all by hand!!! Her piecework is immaculate. Wow. Wonderful wonderful work. And of course I love your quilting too - I love how the circles overlap - as you say, just like spirograph.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We can learn so much from our elders can't we? Pat sounds like such a lovely lady and her quilt is incredible. It would be wonderful to see it hanging up in the show. Your circles quilting is stunning, just perfect. xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stunning! Who would have thought spirals could make such a statement.....

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just love this! Pat must be thrilled with the quilting - what a stunning quilt.
    Alison

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've always admired that pattern, but your circle quilting design really makes it even more exquisite! It's such a perfect design.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a beautiful quilt! It looks great with the circle quilting!
    Laila

    ReplyDelete
  8. An absolutely stunning quilt!! I'm always impressed by people who fully hand sew their quilts. The quilting is perfect! I love the way the spirals cross over on the smaller circles. I agree with Pat , I don't know what my life would be like without quilting either.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is just absolutely beautiful, what an amazing job by Pat and you , youre quilting looks fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely quilt, lovely quilting.

    Thanks for the info about the quilt show - I've added it to my calendar.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful quilt!!! Amazing work by both of you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Awesome quilt and quilting! Pat, you are an inspiration.

    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful work Karen. Now I know what I will be doing with my Pies and Tarts! Pat is truly an inspiration to us all- how many quilts do we still have in us? Susan

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the quilting (and the quilt too, of course) you are super talented and I love to look at your photos for inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a wonderful story! I wonder what Pat's real age is, considering we all like to take at least a decade off our age! Her quilt is amazing. She pieces beautifully. Obviously nothing wrong with her eyesight. And the spiral quilting gives her work fantastic texture. Congratulations Pat - keep enjoying your quilting - you are a marvel!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful quilting Karen.Pat,what an inspiration
    Itl"keep you yong ad heart.

    ReplyDelete
  17. That's such a wonderful quilt! The quilt top itself is a beauty and you made it perfect by your enhancing quilting. As I am a longarm quilter myself, I can guess how hard it must have been, getting the spirals exactly centered on the big circles while simultaniously the stitching lines had to meet each other accurately on the overlapping areas.
    You did a great job, Karen!

    ReplyDelete
  18. So many perfect circles! Great job on this fabulous quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  19. First time to your blog - it's wonderful. You are very talented. How do you sew your circles? This is a fabulous quilt. I don't have a long arm, do you think I could do this pattern? Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Elyte sent me over to view this quilt and as I am in the process of making this one it is fantastic. The quilting finishes it off beautiful.Thank you.
    Shirley.

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a beautiful quilt, the quilting finishes it off perfectly.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments - they will appear shortly.